The Sephardic Routes in Cordoba.
Discover Sephardic Heritage in Cordoba
According to History, the Jews arrived in Cordoba during Roman times, where they had a quiet life, until the Visigoth period of Recadero year 589. Perhaps this was the reason that Jews supported the Muslim conquest in 711, this was also the beginning of the golden age of Jews in Hispanic Peninsula, when the importance of the rabbinical schools in Córdoba were known worldwide.
The Corredera Square is located in the city center, down the street of Espartería or Rodríguez Marin, opposite the Roman Temple. It consists of a big rectangle with arcaded gallery below. The arches on the pillars serve to support three floors with long iron balconies. Stone, limestone and brick are mixed in perfect harmony in this square.
The Corredera Square was built in the fifteenth century on top of a simple esplanade outside the walls of the Medina.
it's name comes from to the bullfights held there(corridas). This enclave owes its present appearance to work done in 1687 by the Mayor Francisco Ronquillo, following the Baroque model of the Castilian squares.
CRUZ DEL RATRO
This cross does not commemorate the assault on the Jewish quarter of Cordoba in 1473. Here the market and the Brotherhood of Charity stood causes incidents and then they placed the Cross to remember this bloodletting of Jews and Jews converted. The name of the Cruz del Rastro, according to legend, is the trail of blood of the victims left to where the cross is located.
CIPO FUNERAL IN THE CHURCH OF SAN MIGUEL
In the commercial center of the city Puerta Osario (old Bab al-Yahud (Gate of the Jews) it has located a Hebrew inscription on a burial cipo jewish that comes from the ancient cemetery. Date IX or X century.
CASA DEL JUDIO (HOUSE OF THE JEW)
Opposite the Archaeological Museum, this great house with two façades. Called The House of the jew because the last owner who was a Sephardic French Jew : Elie J. Nahmias, who loved the city until his death.
LEVI JUDAH SQUARE
Dedicated to one of the most important poets Yehuda ben Samuel ha-Levi (1070-1141). He was not born in Córdoba , but he came to the Capital of Al-Andalus.
THE JEWISH QUARTER
Streets with typical Arabic urbanism, where the streets intercrossed, sometimes without exit, narrow or widen. Formerly it was protected by a wall that protected well and isolating the inhabitants of Christians. In 1272 King Alfonso X the Wise decided to close this quarter, forcing the Jewish population of the city to expand or create another adjoining to the Cathedral Mosque.
CASA SEFARD (SEFARD HOUSE)
In front of the Synagogue of Cordoba , there is a house from the XIV century with its nice fountains as the Jewish temple. This house, also called the House of Memory a cultural center and the Sephardic Jews are the guest in all its forms.
The most important building Jewish Quarter of Córdoba, built in 1315 by King Alfonso XI to thanks them for the support of Jewish community to him that made possible the victory of the Battle of Salado against Muslims. A small building with a courtyard at the entrance hides a story of transformation of the synagogue from hospital to Guild headquarters shoemakers.
Also in the Sephardic Route:
- Gravestone of Yehuda Bar Akon
- Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos
- The souk.The Zoco
- Torre de la Calahorra
- Judíos Street
- Plaza de Maimonides
- Chapel of St. Bartholomew
- Casa de Sefarad
- Castle of the Jews
- Jewish cemetery in Los Santos painted
- The Fonsario or Jewish Cemetery
- Museum Casa Andalusí
- Almodovar Gate or Bab-al-Yahud
- Alcazar Viejo